Summer’s finally here and it’s time to shed your winter layers in favor of breezy tank tops and freeing denim shorts. On top of that, you’ll want to have the perfect swimsuit on hand for any impromptu trips to the beach or backyard pool parties that pop up.
If you’re in the market for a new swimsuit this summer season, you might be looking to change up your style. But, it can feel overwhelming to find something new that makes you feel good and look good too. Luckily, we've got your back with some summer style tips on how to find the right swimsuit for your body. From bold two-piece swimsuits to sexy one-pieces, we’re diving into the hottest swim trends of the season.
You don’t have to look a certain way to wear a swimsuit and feel good in it. For far too long, we’ve been fed a diet of toxic summer body culture that’s served to discourage women from wearing certain swimsuits based on their body types. But that shouldn’t be the case!
Every Body is a Beach Body
A quick disclaimer before we begin: every body is a beach body. You don’t have to look a certain way to wear a swimsuit and feel good in it. For far too long, we’ve been fed a diet of toxic summer body culture that’s served to discourage women from wearing certain swimsuits based on their body types. But that shouldn’t be the case! This summer, say goodbye to body negativity and wear what you want to wear. Plus-sized girls can wear two piece swimsuits, and smaller women can wear one-pieces that hug their curves too. Every woman should feel free to experiment with her summer swim style, no matter their size.
Decide What Style of Suit You Want
The first step to finding the right swimsuit for your body is deciding what style of suit you want to wear this summer. There are a variety of different options to choose from:
- Bikinis: These classic two-piece swimsuits are a summer staple for many women. Bikinis are great if you’re looking to work on your tan on the beach and show a bit more skin. Additionally, as bikinis come with separate bra-style tops and underwear-style bottoms, they’re easy to mix and match. You can pair different colors and prints depending on your mood or the type of event you’re going to. With a good bikini (or two, or three – really, you can never have too many bikinis), you’ll be set up for fun all summer long.
- Tankinis: Another two-piece option, tankinis provide a bit more coverage than bikinis do as they come with a tank top-style top that covers the midriff. Similar to bikinis, you can easily match tankini tops and bottoms to find your perfect summer suit.
- One-Pieces: One-piece swimsuits offer similar coverage to a tankini, but in the form of a single garment. Additionally, one-piece swimsuits have become quite stylish in the past few years. Simply put: these aren’t your grandma’s one-piece suits! While traditionally considered a more conservative swimwear option, many one-pieces now offer more revealing plunge necklines, cute cutouts, and sexy mesh appliques.
After you’ve picked the style of swimsuit you’re interested in, you’ll want to consider the kind of coverage you want. For instance, bikini bottoms come in a variety of coverage styles:
- High-Rise: High-rise bikini bottoms provide more tummy coverage than a traditionally cut bikini bottom. These kinds of bottoms are a great option if you’re looking for a suit that will cinch your waist and accentuate the curves of your hips.
- Mid-Rise: Mid-rise bikini bottoms provide less tummy coverage than high-rise bottoms and sit comfortably on the hips to accentuate your torso.
Additionally, you’ll want to consider what kind of coverage you’ll want on your backside. Both two-piece and one-piece swimsuits have many rear coverage options:
- Full Coverage: Full coverage one-pieces and bikini bottoms provide the most coverage to your backside.
- Cheeky: Cheeky-cut swimsuits show off a little more skin, allowing a portion of your cheeks to show. They’re a bit flirty, but still absolutely comfortable.
- Thong: Thong coverage bathing suits and bottoms bare your whole backside, and are great for those looking to tan every inch of themselves this summer!
Pick the Perfect Print
Finally, you’ll want to choose a suit with a color or print that you adore. Grab a two-piece swimsuit in your favorite color, or if you’re feeling adventurous, pick one in an exciting animal print, like leopard. Summer’s a time to explore your fashion sense and wear things you wouldn’t otherwise, so why not embrace your wild side!
With summer comes the time to pick out a new swimsuit to strut your stuff in. When looking for a new suit to suit you, you’ll want to consider a few things. First, think about what style of swimsuit you’re looking for, whether it be a two-piece bikini, tankini, or a one-piece. Then, decide what kind of coverage you’re looking for. Finally, pick a print or color that you love, and bam! You’ll have found the perfect swimsuit for your body. What do you look for in a new swimsuit?